- Alen Maletic
- View Alen Maletic’s profile
TNAM Initiative / project description
- Fighting early school leaving
The Education and Training 2020 Strategic Framework (ET2020) drives EU cooperation in Education and Training; it contains four key objectives and seven benchmarks. Two headline targets from the Framework have been top-ranked on the Europe 2020 agenda, namely on reducing early-school leaving and increasing levels of tertiary attainment across the EU.
To render this more tangible, five headline targets in the areas of employment, innovation, education, poverty reduction and climate/energy have been set for the EU to achieve by the end of the decade. One of the headline targets is to reduce school drop-out rates to below 10% and increase the share of young people with a third-level degree or diploma to at least 40%.
In 2013, the level of early-leavers reached 11,9% while tertiary attainment topped 36,8%. The headline targets in the field of education and training are therefore about to be reached, even though those figures hide sometimes strong regional disparities (8 Member States had a difference of more than 15 percentage points between their top and bottom regions in terms of rates of tertiary education graduates in a region ). In the framework of the EU2020 mid-term review, a reflection on the relevance of indicators in education and poverty reduction has been initiated.
Early-school leaving is one of the priority areas for European co-operation in Education and Training 2012-2014 a part of promoting equity, social cohesion and active citizenship.
There is an Open Method of Coordination (OMC) thematic working group (TWG) for the ET2020 Strategy in place which tackles the topics of Schools, including early-school leaving and the Teaching Profession.
ET2020 Thematic Working Groups have just undergone a revision after the Council’s request in February 2013. Their new mandate focuses on implementing the ET2020 agenda and build tighter links with the European Semester, and their number has been reduced to match key policy challenges. Their results should be regularly presented to the Education Committee of the Council and national representatives should turn over within the TWGs representation in order to gain more ownership on what happens there.
In ADAM 1660 projects can be found when entering the search term early school leaving.
- Keywords / TAGS
- early childhood education, early school-leaving
Coordinator contact details
Coordinator Region (NUTS code)
- Access for disadvantaged
- Equal Opportunities
- Initial training
- Intercultural learning
- Head teachers/principals/managers
- Non teaching administrative staff
- Best practice
- Methods for Training of Teachers/Staff
- Inclusion of all in Lifelong Learning
- General secondary
- Vocational/Technical secondary
- additional info if needed
- Your Project language (ISO 639-2)
- Languages you will look for
1. LLP project or related resource
- PlugInnovation.se, (Swedish association of local authorities and regions)
- PlugInnovation has the ambition of becoming a national, resource cluster (digital platform) for dropout-prevention. The cluster consists of a digital platform located at the website http://pluginnovation.se. PlugInnovation gathers relevant knowledge on dropout-prevention from different perspectives. The aim is to systemize, cluster, construct and disseminate knowledge on dropout-prevention.
2. LLP project or related resource
- In-VET, Preventing initial VET dropouts and fostering trainee’s inclusion
- In-VET is designed to support VET teachers, school managers, vocational & educational counsellors and all VET professionals to detect, at an early stage, trainees at potential risk of dropping out from the school system.
The In-Vet Project aims at developing a toolkit to be available at the learning and resource center, targeting iVET Managers, Trainers and Tutors/Counsellors.
3. LLP project or related resource
- Stay-in – Student Guidance for Inclusion (EDEN)
- STAY IN – Student guidance at university for inclusion is a two-year project co-funded under the European Commission’s Lifelong Learning programme, Erasmus Multilateral Projects. The project aims to provide a comprehensive on-going guidance service, including e-guidance, to students in higher education to contribute to increasing their educational achievement.
4. LLP project or related resource
CB4LLP Action Plan
- Useful ideas
- Educational Sector
- Non educational
- Systems for quality monitoring
- Systems to document taken actions
CB4LLP Impact analysis